Monday, April 21, 2008

A New Definition of Mormon Standard Time

So I have been officially single for a little more than two months now. I've been immersing myself in work and in my primary calling so I haven't had to think about socializing or being single. But I've been feeling the need lately to start hanging out at the YSA activities. Of course the thought of meeting people especially guys is terrifying. I mean what if they don't like me? Or worse, what if they do??? I'd have to talk to people, maybe even date!! Well, okay, not date yet. I'm definitely not ready for that.

The YSA's in my area were planning a Variety Show for last Friday night. I was intrigued, since I could just sit in the audience and watch. I could slip in and slip out virtually undetected. Or so I thought.

I ran into my friend Sarah at the LDS Bookstore after my temple trip with my mom, and I invited her to attend with me before I'd really thought it through. But I knew with Sarah there, I wouldn't be so scared. She invited her fiance, which I was excited about, since I've been dying to meet him.

Wednesday night I came home from work sniffling and aching. I woke up Thursday morning with a full blown sinus infection. NO!! I thought. How unfair!! I FINALLY have plans to do something after nine months of every night at home with the dogs, and I was sick. My manager couldn't let me go home Thursday since we were so short staffed, but she did let me make a doctor's appointment for Friday. As I suspected the doctor ordered me to go home. My infection had spread to my throat and ears and was heading to my chest. I was surprisingly devastated. After all, I wouldn't have to face the scary social situation. But I wanted so much to hang out with Sarah and meet Gordon.

I kept putting off calling Sarah to tell her I was sick. I thought, I just have to sit there. I don't have to do anything. My doctor prescribed a steroid and an antibiotic. I took them as soon as I got them, and thanks to the medication or Heavenly Father (most likely both), by 7 pm I was only feeling the effects of a mildly runny nose.

I thought the show started at 7pm, and both Sarah and I were running late. I got to the stake center about 7:10, and found the place nearly empty.

Oh no, did I have the wrong location? Or the wrong date? After all my worry, was I going to miss the Variety Show?

I went into the building behind a couple of missionaries, and very bravely asked them if there was supposed to be a Variety Show that night. They said yes, but the time had changed to 8 pm. I just never got the memo. I chatted with the missionaries for a minute. One of them was performing in the show. He asked me my name, and when I replied, he said, "Wow, that's a great name!"

Ok, thanks, I thought. Then I noticed his name tag. We have the same last name!! We of course knew who our common ancestor was. He said, "I come from his second wife." So I said, "Well I come from his first." He generously admitted defeat.

The elders asked if I was a member of the single's ward, and I said no, I teach primary in my family ward. The other elder said, "Well, we'll try not to forget your name if we see you again," to which I pointed to the other elder and replied, "He can't." My distant cousin said, "You're right, actually, I can't. That's my mom's name!" Haha, how random is that?

I decided to run to Sonic to get a drink and wait for the show to start. I got back right at 8pm, but was still half an hour too early. That's Mormon standard time for you...

I ran into a few old friends before the show started. One of them, Genny, had just returned from her mission to South Korea. She'd only been home three weeks and was just as nervous as I was about socializing. We sat together and I introduced her to Sarah and Gordon.

The four of us chatted after the super awesome variety show for a while, but then Genny had to go home. I needed to go too. I had to work in the morning and I'd been sick. But Sarah, Gordon, and I have a mutual friend, Jon, who showed up just then. Of course I gave him a hard time for showing up two hours late as everyone was leaving, but he said he was driving by and wanted to know if anyone was still there. We all got to reminiscing (Gordon was learning new things since he wasn't around before I got married), and decided to go to Ihop to do a little catching up. Plus I asked Sarah how the two met, and it took a good half hour for the full story to unfold. It's actually quite charming.

We spent the next three hours catching up!! I didn't get home until 1:30 am!! I know, shame on me. But I had so much fun!! I haven't been that relaxed in years. Other than the fact that we have four years of info to catch up on, I felt like I'd never left the group. My friends were so supportive and non-judgemental (except for when I told them some of the stuff Eric had put me through-they were properly disgusted).

I was fine on Saturday, and got through work okay, but I paid for it Sunday.

I can't wait for the next chance I get to hang out with my old friends!! Who knows, maybe I'll even be brave enough to make new ones!!

2 comments:

the Rich girl said...

I'm glad that you had a good time! Singles are only scary because they are weird.... ;) I know... It's like the pot calling the kettle black...

Mar~ said...

SOOOO glad that you had a good time and that you are finding and enjoying good friendships.

Way to go, Marilyn! Back in the game!

love you lots,
Aunt Mar~