Friday, November 27, 2009

My Super Late Thanksgiving Blog

I know Thanksgiving was four days ago but I just wanted to go ahead and make my official gratitude post.

I am so grateful for my family. They have been so loving and supportive and full of suggestions on how I can enjoy food without ingesting any of the many things I can no longer eat. I'd like to include Adam and his family in that. They have family members with health issues as well, so they've been very kind about making sure I can eat their food. Especially on Thanksgiving.

I have to give a humongous thank you to Adam. Discovering the various food allergies/intolerances that I have has been difficult and frustrating. It takes an hour for us to choose a restaurant if we want to go on a date and then we get there only to find they have next to nothing for me to choose from. There are nights when I'm nearly reduced to tears. But he's been patient with me and very good about letting me know how willing he is to work with my food allergies. On Thanksgiving, he was concerned there would not be enough food for me to eat. He knew I could eat sweet potatoes but didn't like them. So he went online and found a recipe for baked sweet potato fries. He even hand cut the potatoes. What an amazing guy. I was so touched that he would go to so much trouble for me. And the sweet potato fries were delicious!!

I was able to find a wheat-free gluten-free bread mix that I could use to make homemade bread. It even told me how to substitute items so the bread would be dairy free as well. I was scared I would kill the yeast. I thought for sure the bread would taste terrible. But, the yeast grew! I was so excited. And the bread was pretty yummy. It wasn't delicious... it needs some tweaking... but it was good, especially with honey.

I also wanted to express my gratitude for my ward members. They have been so kind to check on me when I'm not feeling well, and they are so quick to offer help. I'm so lucky to have such a kind group of young single adults to go to church with. I'm also extremely grateful to have so many family members nearby so I haven't needed any extra help.

2 comments:

Mar~ said...

I'm worried you are not getting enough healthy food to eat. That alone can make you feel sick.
I hope you are being careful! This worries me!

Mar~ said...

Love the new look! It looks good enough to eat!