
Every year on Halloween, my Aunt Mar makes homemade donuts and invites all her friends and family to come and enjoy them. She really goes all out - decorating, cooking, and socializing with her neighbors. I got to join in this year. When I arrived at her house around 7:30 this evening, I found her street lined with cars and seemingly hundreds of people rushing to her door. People had been coming in and out of her house since 3:30 this afternoon. Her house (which is a little on the large side) was packed with people, spilling into both the front and backyards. Children, teens, and parents chatted and munched on her delicious delights. I got to
help fry and sugar as we tried to keep the donut plate full. We failed miserably!! We would get a small pile of donuts built up, and turn our backs for just a second to make some more, and when we turned back, all the donuts were gone! I could say, "I guess that means the donuts were good," but I know they were. I got to try one fresh out of the fryer. It was so sweet and literally melted in my mouth. Yummmmmmmm.... I mentioned to Uncle Jonathan that if they couldn't sell their house, Aunt Mar could always open a donut shop. I chuckled when I later heard others make similar comments. One young girl even volunteered to help!!
She had other goodies set out as well, including an assortment of nuts, m&m's, vegetables, chips, crackers, and monster toes (mini sausages). She had cleverly arranged five large carrots in the vegetable dip to resemble monster fingers too. They had dry ice creating a lovely Halloween fog, and some of the young men had a lot of fun (maybe too much fun?) playing with the dry ice. In the end, we estimated we'd gone through at least 500 donuts!! Poor Aunt Mar didn't even get one!! By the time the guests stopped coming, and Aunt Mar could take a break, she was all donuted out. I don't blame her, she'd only been making them all day long!!
This is Uncle Jonathan pouring the dry ice in the sink. ( Ashton really enjoyed that...)
You can see our empty donut plates, and all the endless mounds of sugar.
You can see our empty donut plates, and all the endless mounds of sugar.
Thanks, Aunt Mar, for all your hard work. It turned out to be a wonderful (and delicious) Halloween.
2 comments:
Jealous!!! I'm glad at least one of us got to go to the doughnut extravaganza, but I wish it had been me. :)
You two are so much fun, I love the little competitive nature that comes out, even across the miles!
Marilyn, it was great to have you over for our chaotic Halloween sugarfest!
Love to you!
Aunt Mar~
Post a Comment