Keep in mind my memories are those of a child; he died when I was barely 13 years old. It broke my heart when I lost him.
My grandpa loved me perfectly. I barely remember any conversations we might have had, but we were always aware of each other. He didn't care that I was chubby or obnoxious. There never seemed to be a time when another grandchild was more important than me. He never minded if I wanted to sit next to him while he watched TV and he let me talk his ear off. He never complained.
He never complained when he got sick. I remember him asking us how we were doing. He seemed able to read my mind, offering me words of comfort. I always saw my grandfather as larger than life and then there he was, this tiny, fragile man, lying in a hospital bed with just weeks left on this earth.
My grandpa was a wonderful example of charity. He was quiet and patient and always ready to lend another a helping hand.
If there were problems in the family, I never knew it from him. If he disapproved of something or someone he gave no indication to me.
He liked to take us to Pizza Hut for BBQ chicken pizza.
He made a tire swing and hung it from a large tree in his front/side yard when he knew the grandchildren were coming and would never tire of pushing us on it.
One year he bought us sparklers and those things you throw to make the loud popping sound for the 4th of July.
I remember sitting outside one day blowing bubbles.
He hated the cat. (And so did I after she scratched my face. He was the only one who noticed that too...)
He loved my dad. I look back now and realize just how lucky my dad was to have a father-in-law like my grandfather.
He commanded respect without asking for it. He was dignified.
He had a hearty, infectious laugh and his eye would squint when he smiled.
He was honest.
I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and for the knowledge that I have the chance to be reunited with him someday. I miss him with all my heart. I love him so much I could burst. I am so grateful for his amazing example of a Christlike disciple.
2 comments:
What a very sweet post. What a beautiful little girl! Your hair, oh my goodness, it's gorgeous!
Your grandpa was a very kind man. I remember meeting him on a few occasions.
I have never seen a photo of your mom's mother before, you certainly resemble her, she is LOVELY!
A very sweet entry.
love you,
Aunt Mar~
Post a Comment