Sunday, November 23, 2008

I'm Super Tired but Super Happy

So when I stress out, I can't sleep. Literally can not sleep. Last night after I finished my script I was so happy to lay down in my comfy bed and get some much deserved rest.

My brain had other ideas. It would not shut off... I lay in bed thinking about the program, my mom, my sister, and who knows what else. Finally I got up around 3:30 still wide awake. I decided to go ahead and shower and bake the brownies I'd promised the choir. The brownies would not bake!! They cooked on one half and not the other. I flipped the pan around and tried to cook them longer but the side that got cooked in the first place only got cooked more, and the other half was still a gooey mess. (I broke the sabbath and bought cookies from Walmart. I promised the guys if they showed up to choir there would be food...) Still wide awake I did a load of laundry and finally was tired. I think I fell asleep around 6:30 am. I had to get up at 9!!

So I am grateful for Heavenly Father sustaining me today. No one at church would have guessed I'd had no sleep. I was happy and energetic. I made it through choir pretty well and was only slightly dizzy on my way home. But I wasn't done yet. I still had to go visiting teaching!!

Luckily my super awesome VT partner was driving. We had a lot of fun chatting on the drive and with our friends once we got to their apartment. I even managed to give a coherent lesson.

The drive home was a little more fuzzy. I do remember getting some chicken soup from my mom when I got home and then I was passed out. I am also grateful that Maggie and Maia were happy to nap with me so I didn't have to stay awake to keep them in line.

For those of you who have been asking, I don't know if my Christmas program has been approved yet. It's pretty simple, but that's the way I feel about the gospel. What comments can I make beyond what has already been said? The prophets of the Bible and Book of Mormon have already told the story so eloquently, I just basically put in some transition statements and picked out songs that went along the lines of the the story of the Savior's birth. We are performing December 14th.

We are performing two of our songs for stake conference on December 7th as well as at the Frisco Nativity.

So I also have some gratitude to make up. I think I am behind one or two days, but I have plenty to be grateful for. I am grateful we've had some chilly weather. I've gotten to enjoy hot chocolate, wearing sweaters, and best of all, it was even cold enough for a couple of days that I got to wear my super awesome leather jacket that was a Christmas present from my Aunt Mar last year.

In doing research for the Christmas program, I found my very favorite Christmas carol and purchased the Mtab version from iTunes. It is called "Angels' Carol" and if I had enough time and could find the sheet music, I would make the choir sing it for our program. However I do not have enough time or the sheet music, so I will just have to enjoy it by myself. As a matter of fact I have it looping on my computer as I type. (Yes I am breaking my rule of no Christmas music before Thanksgiving. It is THAT good.) If I could figure out how to post it for you to hear I would.

I am also so grateful I am discovering my place in my ward. I am coming out of my shell. I think my calling has given me a sense of purpose and forces me to meet people. I am relaxing and having more fun.

Today for example, I needed to talk to the brethren. As part of my calling, I have to coordinate with the leaders of each auxiliary to make sure they have a chorister and pianist so they can sing in class. I also need to know about other musical talents so I can arrange for special musical numbers in Sacrament meeting. I told the brethren (and the sisters but that story isn't funny) about this part of my calling and told them I would be passing around a sign up sheet next week. I wanted to give them a week to think about their talents and decide it would be okay to share them with us. I put my email address on the chalkboard for them to email me with questions or concerns about performing before I send around the sign up sheet. Part of my email address includes my birth date. One of the guys (I had my back to them at the time), said, "What are those numbers?" I said, "It's my birthday, so now you guys now when it is time to buy me presents." Which got them laughing. Then somebody said, "Are you sure? It kind looks like an area code. Are you sure that isn't your phone number?" And without skipping a beat I very saucily replied, "Oh no, you guys aren't getting my phone number." They thought that was funny too. Or at least I did, but they were laughing too. I thought about it on my way to choir and if I had it to do over, I would say, "Oh only guys who come to choir get my number." Or something like that.

So yes I am stressing. I will be very glad when the Christmas program is over. But yes, I am very happy.

2 comments:

Mar~ said...

I like the answer you gave them...you left them wanting more, and they know where to find you!

You also set up a rule for them to follow..."don't call me, just bring me presents!" That cracks me up!

Glad you had a happy, giddy day!

the Rich girl said...

Hahahahaha... I like Aunt Mar's comment--a lot!!

And Mar, I'm so proud of you!
You're the best.